Rui Abreu graduated in 2003 from the Faculty of Fine Arts in Porto, where he studied Communication Design and became interested in type. His professional experience includes working in advertising agencies and publishing fonts, both independently and with other foundries. Since 2008, Rui is dedicated to his R-Typography's retail Library and provides custom typefaces and lettering for corporate clients.
Andreu is a type designer and digital punchcutter based in Barcelona. He designs retail and custom typefaces several of which has been awarded with TDC Excellence in Type Design. He also teaches typography and type design at EINA, University School of Design and Art, in Barcelona.
Erik van Blokland
Erik could not choose between type design and programming and decided to do both. He designed many acclaimed typefaces (Beowolf, Trixie, Federal, Eames Century Modern(, and type interpolation tools (Skateboard, MutatorMath and Superpolator). He is currently the head of the Type and Media master department in The Hague.
Johannes Breyer & Fabian Harb
Dinamo is a Swiss type design agency based in Basel & Berlin, designing retail and bespoke typefaces, design software, research and consultancy.
Veronika Burian studied Industrial Design in Munich and worked in Vienna and Milan. Discovering her true passion for type, she graduated with distinction from the MA in Typeface Design in Reading, UK, in 2003. After staying for some time in USA, and her hometown Prague she is now enjoying life in sunny Cataluña. Veronika is co-founder of the type foundry TypeTogether.
Nova Type Foundry
Joana is the founder of Nova Type Foundry. Here she creates her own type families and cultivates upcoming designers as they develop their work into finished fonts. Upon graduation from University of Reading in 2011, Joana returned to her hometown of Porto, Portugal to teach type design at the School of Art and Design of Matosinhos, ESAD.
Maria Doreuli is a creative director at Contrast Foundry, an independent studio with a focus on Cyrillic and Latin type design. When she’s not sketching and drawing type at the studio, she is running various workshops and teaching.
Hyewon Han is a type designer, strategic planner and global business manager at Sandoll Communications, a company that developed a diversity of Hangul font designs for global companies such as Apple, Google, Samsung or LG.
Joyce Ketterer joined Darden in 2006 and became CEO in 2016. In cooperation with the studio’s attorney, she is responsible for writing and enforcing the studio’s Licensing—a task to which she brings the real world experience of working directly with customers for both sales and license enforcement.
Indra Kupferschmid is a freelance typographer and professor at HBKsaar, University of Arts Saarbrücken, Germany. Fueled by specimen books, she is occupied with type around the clock and in all its incarnations – webfonts, bitmap fonts, research, terminology, classification, typographic design work, and any combination of this.
Miguel Reyes, originally from Puebla, Mexico, studied graphic design at Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla before working as a type designer, graphic designer, and publication designer in Barcelona and Mexico City. He attended the Type and Media Masters course at KABK in the Hague and began working with Commercial Type at the beginning of 2013.
David Jonathan Ross
A native of Los Angeles, David Jonathan Ross draws letters of all shapes and sizes. He joined The Font Bureau in 2007 and now he publishes typefaces of visual and technical interest at his own foundry, DJR.
With short presentation by:
- Paul Barnes, Commercial Type, UK
- Matteo Bologna, MuccaTypo, US
- Catherine Dixon, Central Saint Martins, UK
- Nikola Djurek, Typotheque, Croatia
- Hugues Gentile, Production Type, France
- Jonas Hecksher, Playtype, Denmark
- Michael Hochleitner, Typejockeys, Austria
- Jérémie Hornus, Black Foundry, France
- Paul van der Laan, Bold Monday, The Netherlands
- Yunjung Park, TypoLab, South Korea
- Ilya Ruderman, CSTM, Russia
- Pascal Zoghbi, 29Letters, Spain/Lebanon
The conference is held in Ateneu Comercial do Porto, a building with upmost historical and cultural importance in the centre of Porto.
Porto is easily accessible by plane with direct flights from all over the world. Lisbon is 3 hours drive by car or train.
The city offers a range of hotels and Bed & Breakfast options. Some of the speakers will be staying in a brand new concept hotel Zero Box Lodge, join them for the all new lodging experience.
Rua do Ateneu Comercial do Porto, 13
- +351 227 662 342
Please, note that the program is subject to change, and will be updated continuously up to the conference. Registration will start at 8.00 and the program officially ends at 19.30.
- 8.00 – 9.00Registration
- 9.00 – 9.15Peter Biľak & Andrej Krátky / Fontstand / Opening remarks
- 9.15 – 9.45David Jonathan Ross / DJR / Two, Four, Six, Eight… Everyone Interpolate!
- 9.50 – 10.20Veronika Burian / TypeTogether / It’s not all rosy…
- 10.25 – 10.55Hyewon Han / Sandoll Communications / Hangul, Designing Companionship with Neighbor Scripts
- Coffee break
- 11.30 – 12.00Johannes Breyer & Fabian Harb / Dinamo / Dinamo Dark Room
- 12.05 – 12.35Rui Abreu / R-Typography / Type Garments
- 12.40 – 13.10Maria Doreuli / Contrast Foundry / It Is Good to Forget What You’ve Learned
- 14.45 – 15.15Erik van Blokland / LettError Type / Designspaces
- 15.20 – 15.50Miguel Reyes / Commercial Type / The Similitudes of Designing Screen and Newspaper type
- 15.55 – 16.25Joyce Ketterer / Darden Studio / Understanding Font Licensing
- Coffee break
- 17.00 – 17.30Joana Correia / Nova Type Foundry / Slow Type
- 17.35 – 18.05Andreu Balius / TypeRepublic / Graphic Art With High Doses of Cholesterol
- 18.10 – 18.40Indra Kupferschmid / Choose Your Own Adventure
May 25, 2019
There is no special student price, but we encourage professional designers to sponsor student tickets by paying 50% of the normal ticket price, thus providing a number of half-price student tickets. You can become a sponsor at Eventbrite.